Once your baby is able to sit by itself, and you are starting it on solid food, one item which you will definitely need is a good high chair. A safe, high chair will allow your baby to experiment with different foods. It will also make it easier for you to supervise the meals, as well as to clean up the mess afterward.
[amazon box=”B07Y5TB8JT,B0072IINY8,B01LYZR3HI” grid=”3″]
There are many different kinds of high chairs, so here are some features you should be looking for in order to ensure that the high chair will serve its purpose properly and will keep your baby safe for several years ahead.
Since you will be using the high chair on a daily basis until the child turns 2 or 3 years old, you should definitely opt for a sturdy and well-built high chair.
Also, look for important features such as the type of chair, the type of tray, the ease of cleaning, the adjustability, the versatility, the material it is made of, the sturdiness, the comfort, the safety harness and other safety features, the mobility, and of course the price and warranty it comes with.
In order to save you the time for doing such extensive research, we have carefully tested a number of popular high chairs for all the above-mentioned features, and as a result, have hand-picked the top 10 favorite high chairs for 2023 for you.
For more information about their features and their pros and cons, please scroll down to read the brief overviews.
If you want a safe and comfy high chair for your baby, which you can use as it grows up to be a toddler, you should definitely check out the Graco DuoDiner 3-in-1 model. It can be used as a reclinable high chair, a feeding chair as well as a portable booster seat.
- It can be used for children starting from an early age up to the toddler years
- A very safe and secure 3 or 5 point safety harness, so that you can run your errands worry-free
- Foldable design for easy storage and traveling
- The tray can be removed using one hand only because we know the hassle of holding the baby and trying to handle other tasks
- The tray can be washed in a dishwasher
- The high chair has a weight capacity of 37 lbs. and the feeding booster – has up to 60 lbs.
- The infant high chair is reclinable with 3 adjustable positions, which is super convenient when your baby is still on the bottle
- The adjustable feeding chair has 5 adjustable height levels, plus the footrest can be adjusted to suit the size of your child too
- The portable booster seat can be carried around the house, or when visiting a grandparent or other people
- The seat pad is machine washable and is also easy to wipe after each meal
- Comes in different color options
- Wheels on the legs for added mobility
- Very easy assembly
- There is no lock to keep the wheels in place
This reasonably priced multifunctional baby chair can be used from a very early age of just a few months all through the toddler years. Its versatile reclining high chair position is an excellent option for parents who want to get their errands done without being distressed about the safety of their baby.
The feeding chair can easily be adjusted to match the height of your table, and the booster seat is a very convenient option for traveling or visiting guests with your toddler.
The chair is foldable, very easy to adjust, and clean. You will have no problems storing it away when you are not using it, as well as getting the mess sorted out without hassle.
Because every minute you have your hand free when you have a small baby is precious, this chair will definitely pay back the investment you are making!
Do you love camping, or do a lot of traveling with your family? The portable Ciao! A baby high chair is an excellent option for you. You can easily fold it up and pop it into the trunk of your car so that you always have a safe handy high chair available for your child no matter where you go.
- Unfolding and folding the chair will take a few seconds
- The chair safely locks into place when unfolded
- The high chair weighs only 8 lbs. so it is very portable
- It comes with a useful carrying bag
- Suitable for toddlers up to 3 years of age and up to 35 lbs.
- No assembly is required, you can use it straight out of the box
- Dimensions, when unfolded, are 23 x 23 x 32 inches
- A 5 point secure baby harness will keep your precious little one safe at all times
- The vinyl tray cover is very easy to clean and comes with a convenient built-in cup holder
- The fabric is very easy to clean
- Perfect for visiting grandparents, camping, picnics, and traveling
- Meets all safety standards for high chair safety of the US and EU, as well as the international safety standards for chemicals, heavy metals, and flammability
- It is affordable
- The tray can lean towards the child due to the weight put on the seat
This portable high chair is exactly what you need if you love spending time outdoors, camping, or visiting friends and family. It is a superb option for taking your baby with you to the restaurant as well. You can fold and unfold it in just a few seconds, and once you lock it safely into place, your baby will have its own dedicated chair with it at all times.
Even though it is very lightweight, this high chair is very safe thanks to its construction and the 5 point harness seat belt.
The fabric and tray are easy to wipe and wash and will dry very quickly.
At this price range, this is possibly the high chair you can get at the moment. It is a superb choice as a travel chair, and it takes up very little space, so you can keep it in your car trunk at all times.
The JOOVY Foodoo high chair is one of the best chairs you can get for the price offered. It is highly adjustable, foldable, and versatile. You will be able to use it until your youngster reaches 50 lbs. which makes it a great long-term investment too. Overall, the quality of the materials, the design, and the multiple functions of this high chair are the reasons for placing it in our top 10 list.
- Convenient foldable design for easy portability and storage
- The top-quality rubber wheels allow for easy mobility and will keep your hard floors from scratches and scuffs
- Suitable for toddlers up to 4 years old
- Has a capacity of holding up 50 lbs. of weight
- 8 adjustable positions of the chair
- 5 reclining positions
- 2 positions for the footrest
- 2 adjustable positions for the tray too
- Easy to clean and maintain leatherette seat
- The tray insert is removable and dishwasher friendly
- The tray is large-sized, so it can fit most plates
- Has a convenient storage compartment on the back
- The safety harness has locking tabs on the back of the seat, so your curious little toddler won’t be able to fiddle with them while seated
- It has a larger footprint than some of the other high chairs, so if you have limited space you should keep this in mind
This JOOVY high chair is a big and sturdy chair, but can easily be folded and stowed away when not in use. It is very comfortable for both the child and the parents. The chair has been designed to perfectly fit toddlers up to 4 years of age of all shapes and sizes, thanks to the multiple adjustable features. It is easy to clean, can be rolled from one room to another, and is perfectly safe thanks to the harness and the clever locking system on the back.
Plus, you get a convenient compartment on the back to keep bibs and other baby stuff.
It is definitely a worthwhile investment to make, given its durable make, and adjustability which will allow the chair to “grow” as your child grows.
Are you a clean freak, and want everything that your baby touches to be impeccably sanitary? Then the Ingenuity SmartClean 3-in-1 chair is the perfect high chair for you. It can be taken apart easily so that you can wash each and every part whenever you want. It is also versatile and can be used as a high feeding chair, a booster, and a seat for toddlers.
- Entirely wipeable and dishwasher safe
- 3-in-1 multiple functions – can be converted to a high chair, a booster as well as a seat for toddlers
- Easy assembly and disassembly
- A secure harness to keep the child safe at all times
- The soft seat will keep your baby comfy and cozy
- The backrest is comfortable and will provide superb support for the child
- The tray too is dishwasher safe and has 4 adjustable safety for the ultimate comfort of your child
- When you use it as a toddler chair and a booster it can seat two kids at the same time
- Its dimensions are 21.5 x 43.5 x 34.5 inches, and it weighs 22.3 lbs.
- Pretty design and color
- Added wheels for easy portability
- It is not foldable like some of the other high chairs
This Ingenuity high chair is probably the easiest one to clean on this list. It is entirely dishwasher safe. You can disassemble it and assemble it back in a matter of minutes. The chair can turn into a full-sized high chair, a toddler chair as well as a booster. In fact, when using the last two modes, you can seat one kid on the booster and the other on the toddler chair!
This is a well-designed, versatile high chair that you can continue using even after your baby grows up and throughout its toddler years! It is definitely worth purchasing if you want everything to be perfectly clean around your child!
Are you looking for a space-saving chair for your baby or one which can reach your high kitchen bar? Chicco has a perfect solution for you. This amazingly convenient seat can be safely secured to any table or countertop in a matter of seconds. This means no more moving around of a heavy high chair and no more scratch marks on your beautiful wood floor. Plus, it is 360 degrees adjustable for your convenience and for the baby’s comfort.
- Suitable for 6-month-old babies and up, and up to 37 lbs.
- Can be secured to the edge of nearly any table kitchen island or countertop – with skirting up to 5.5 inches
- The seat can be locked in 6 different positions
- The chair rotates at 360 degrees so that you can always have eye contact with your baby
- The baby can face you, the tray, or away
- The snap-on tray is easy to wash and provides a clean feeding surface for your baby when at home or on the go
- The grips are rubberized so they won’t scratch or damage the table
- Can be folded into a flat position for easy carrying and storage
- It weighs only 7 lbs.
- Has a safety seatbelt
- Washable seat pad fabric
- Comes with a zippered comfortable carry bag
- Doesn’t take up floor space
- Doesn’t risk scratching the hard floors at home
- An excellent option for restaurants, picnics, and others
- The fabric is absorbent which means that you will need to wash it more often than just having to wipe it
This is a brilliant baby table seat that you can quickly and safely attach to any table or countertop. You can rotate the seat at 360 degrees. The seat is compact and light and has no footprint on the floor, which saves space, as well as the hard floor from scratches.
Your baby will be safe in it thanks to the safety seatbelt. It is apt for children up to 37 lbs.
You can easily fold the chair flat, pop it into its carry bag, and take it with you whenever you go visit your parents, or when heading off to a restaurant.
It is a top-quality, very practical, and easy to clean baby seat, which is a great alternative to the traditional high chair.
If you love eating out with your baby, but hate using the restaurant’s high chairs, the Fast table chair from Inglesina is the best baby item you can own. This is another table baby chair which we love and recommend highly.
It provides comfort and safety for the baby and makes your task of feeding it and attending to it much easier.
- It attaches to tables up to 3.5 inches thick via sturdy universal twist-tight couplings
- The seat can hold children up to 37 lbs.
- Fits any picnic table
- It folds up and becomes completely flat for easy portability and space-saving
- Comes with a carry bag which is attached to the seat bottom and provides extra padding for your precious one
- A sturdy and firm seat and a comfortable backrest keep your baby happy while you are enjoying your meal
- A rear pocket where you can store stuff such as baby wet wipes, utensils bibs, and others
- The seat cover is removable and can be washed in a washing machine
- The dimensions of the seat are 14 x 11 x 17 inches, and 14 x 4 x 17 inches when folded. It weighs only 4.2 lbs.
- Certified in compliance with the new ASTM F1235-15 safety standard
- It doesn’t come with a tray, so you will need to buy one separately if you need one
The Inglesina Fast is the perfect, compact, ultra-light baby chair for those of you who want your baby to have its own personal chair when you visit friends or family and when you go out to eat at a restaurant. It weighs a mere 4.2 lbs. and folds up to a thickness of just 4 inches, which makes it incredibly portable. It can be attached to just about any table securely and will make your baby feel like one of the adults on the table. It is easy to wash, has a convenient carry bag that acts as extra padding, as well as a storage pocket on the back for easy access to essential baby items. It is a highly recommended baby chair if you don’t want a traditional high chair that takes up space and leaves scratch marks on the floor.
It is available at an affordable price and has a straightforward yet useful and safe design.
- The seat is extremely easy to wipe clean
- The chair can fold up for storage or portability
- Easy fold and unfold – takes a few seconds
- When folded it can stand upright for convenient vertical storage in a closet or elsewhere
- A 3-point harness ensures the safety of the child
- Can hold a child weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Has a comfy leg rest to prevent those tiny legs from dangling
- A large 3-position adjustable tray can fit most plates and a built-in cup holder
- The size is 25.3 x 18.3 x 6.1 inches
- It weighs 13.9 lbs.
- Its price is much lower than that of the other high chairs
- The seat is not removable for washing
This inexpensive high chair from Cosco has been specially designed for easy portability and traveling. It folds up and unfolds easily and quickly. It is easy to wipe clean, even though the seat pad is not removable, and it comes with a full-sized adjustable tray.
This high chair can accommodate children up to 50 lbs. so you will be using it for a long. At the same time, it has a small footprint, so you can fit it in smaller kitchens or other limited spaces.
It is safe, versatile, portable, and easy to clean, and let’s admit it – at this price, it is definitely a bargain!
Related article – The Top Baby Bottles 2023
It is not suitable for small babies but is great for 2-year-olds, children, and adults. The clever design allows you to easily adjust the seat height and footrest height in accordance with your child’s size.
The ergonomic design will provide comfort, stability, and confidence.
- Made of solid birch-tree plywood with grooves where the seat and footrest can be fitted via side support screws
- Adjustable seat height and footplate height with 14 levels of adjustment with 5-inch increments. The highest set setting is 24 inches
- Very sturdy and stable chair
- Has round edges to prevent injuries
- The dimensions are 19 x 18 x 31 (W, D, H) inches and the weight of the chair is 18 lbs.
- Suitable for children who are 24 months or older. Works for teenagers too, so it actually “grows” with the child
- Can hold up to 200 lbs.
- The very contemporary stylish design doesn’t look “babyish”- will fit any décor
- Comes with a 3-year warranty
- FSC certified
- Doesn’t have a safety harness, but you can order a universal one if you feel unsafe using a chair like this
This wooden adjustable high chair from Heartwood is not your standard baby chair. It has a unique, different, and yet ergonomic and very clever design. It can seat your kid from the age of 2 up through their teenage years.
The Heartwood chair is a modern, sleek and versatile chair made of real sturdy wood. If you prefer a modernistic and comfortable chair which your child can use throughout its childhood up to adulthood, which isn’t too babyish or made of cheap materials, this one is the right choice you can make.
When we talk about how versatile some of these high chairs are, we can’t pass by the 6-in-1 Graco Blossom chair. It can easily be disassembled into 6 different chairs suitable for babies, toddlers, and children up to 60 lbs.
The 3-part tray is entirely dishwasher safe, and the chair can easily be wiped clean, so you won’t have any trouble sanitizing it and getting all kinds of spills out. It is a chair which will grow along with your family!
- A 6-in-1 chair, which transforms into an infant high chair, a baby high chair, a booster for infants, a booster for toddlers, and into a traditional youth chair – all for the price of one product
- The high chair is for children up to 40 lbs.
- The booster and youth chair for toddlers is for kids up to 60 lbs.
- The chair is very easy to assemble and disassemble – no tools are needed
- The seat pad is machine washable and you can simply wipe it clean after each meal
- The safety straps are also removable and can be washed
- The3 tray types are dishwasher friendly
- The infant high chair will keep the baby in a comfortable position for feeding and will keep it safe thanks to the 5 point harness
- The front wheels of the chair have locks to keep the chair in place, the rear ones are casters for easy portability and maneuvering
- The backrest is removable in order to provide proper comfort and space for the growing child and can be used both with the youth chair and with the toddler booster
- You can seat two children at the same time – one in the toddler booster and the other on the high chair, or one in the infant booster and another on the youth stool, as well as one child in the toddler booster, and the other on the youth stool
- Has a very sturdy frame, which when not used as a high chair can be stored away for space-saving
- The booster seat can be strapped safely to the kitchen chair
- The dimensions are 29 x 22.5 x 41 inches, 32 lbs.
- It is bulkier than some of the other high chairs
This 6-in-1 high chair is a superb choice if you want to invest in one great product and receive 6 different seating options for the money! You can use it as your baby grows and will save tons of money on buying new chairs and boosters as your little one grows up.
You can even seat two kids on the different seats of this multifunctional chair.
It is sturdy, has easy to roll caster rear wheels and safety locks on the front ones to keep it safely in place.
Also, the 3 different tray inserts are very easy to remove and attach and can be washed in a dishwasher. The seat can be washed, and the rest of the chair can be sprayed and wiped clean in a matter of minutes.
Overall, this is a very good investment to make, as it will serve you well through the years and will eliminate the need for buying additional boosters and chairs as your baby grows up!
If you are looking for making a sensible long-term investment, you should check out the Abbie Beyond wooden high chair. It is well made and is adjustable. In fact, it can be used from 6 months up and then can be converted into a toddler’s chair and later into a regular chair so that your child can continue using it as it grows up.
- It is suitable for babies aged 6 months old and up.
- It can seat children or adults weighing up to 250 lbs.
- The design is timeless, so it will never go out of style
- It can easily be converted from a high chair to a chair for toddlers, as well as into a regular chair – no tools required
- Has a secure safety belt that can be used as a 3 or 5 point harness
- The safety straps can be removed and washed with the laundry
- The chair stays stable on the floor with no dangerous rocking
- It features a comfortable footrest for the child use as it grows up
- It has a comfortable, stain-resistant, and waterproof cushion which is very easy to clean
- The removable tray is dishwasher safe, plus it is easy to remove with one hand only. Also, the tray depth can be adjusted to two convenient settings
- You can use the high chair without the tray too
- It is made in the US, built from high quality, scratch-resistant wood which has been treated against microbes via heat sterilization
- The height of the chair can be adjusted swiftly and effortlessly, and it can be used as an extra chair when you have guests – it can be adjusted from a height of 24.6 inches down to 10.5 inches
- It has a minimal footprint, so it won’t take up too much space in your kitchen or dining area (21 x 17.6 x 34.5 inches)
- It is portable, so you can move it from room to room with ease (17.7 lbs.)
- Cultivated beech wood is used for making the chair, so it is sustainable and eco-friendly
- No chemicals or other harmful substances are used in its making – the chair is certified for compliance with ASTM F404-14 & HR.4040 standards
- It comes with a 3-year warranty with an option for extending it for 1,2 or 3 more years
- The tray can be a tad too small to fit larger plates
The Abiie Beyond adjustable wooden high chair is an amazingly versatile and durable piece of furniture. You can use it for babies who are just 6 months old and can easily readjust it into a toddler’s chair or an adult chair in a matter of minutes, with no tools or special skills required.
The chair is made of top-quality sterilized anti-microbial wood. The cushion is stain resistant and along with the removable tray is very easy to clean.
Also, you can feel secure that your child is safe and sound when it is sitting in the high chair thanks to its stability and the adjustable safety harness.
You will be making a very long-term investment if you choose this chair, as it can be used by babies and adults alike. In fact, given the top quality of this multifunctional high chair, chances are that your child will be using it forever. This is definitely one of the first-rate high chairs on the market right now.
As you can see, there are excellent options for anybody when it comes to high chairs. There are portable, foldable chairs to take with you when traveling or visiting friends, there are table chairs which can safely be attached to any kind of table, countertop or kitchen island, there are multifunctional chairs which can be converted into different types of seats, boosters, and chairs, as your child grows, and there are some untraditional high chairs for those of you who don’t like to go with the flow.
When it comes to selecting high chairs, we made sure to only include those that met strict safety standards, were simple to clean and operate, and offered the most bang for the buck.
There is a large price gap between some of them, so it’s important to think about the chair’s durability, adaptability, and capacity before making a purchase. The longer the return on your investment lasts, the greater it is.
There are chairs here that are designed specifically for newborns and babies, and others that are ideal for much older children and even adults. You should keep this in mind as well.
Some can be folded up, making them more portable. There are others that are more robust and substantial and could last longer.
In general, high chairs can be one of the following types:
- Basic plastic or metal highchairs
These are relatively simple and straightforward. They are made with metal or plastic frames and bodies and feature safety harnesses and in some cases padding on the seat. These are the least expensive ones and usually are the lightest ones. Some of them are collapsible which makes them easier to store or move. They can have some cons though – including non-washable seat pads, or food getting stuck into the nooks and crannies.
- Full feature high chairs
These high chairs include all the features of the basic high chairs but have some added extras such as cushioned seat pads, detachable trays, wheels, adjustable height of the set and recline position, and others. Some of these models will literally “grow” with your child, so you will be using them for a long.
- Portable and table hook on high chairs
These chairs can either be directly attached to the table, strap onto regular kitchen chairs, or are lightweight, foldable high chairs which you can easily be carried in the trunk, and is useful for visiting restaurants, camping for visiting friends as well as traveling. Make sure that the portable chair you choose is safe and that it can carry the weight of your child before purchasing it.
These are solid and sturdy high chairs which are very durable but tend to be more expensive and heavier than the other types of high chairs. There are adjustable wood chairs that you can use until your child becomes an adult, and others can be used as extra chairs when you have guests too. Make sure that the wooden chair is spill-resistant so that you don’t get food and spills stuck in its crevices.
An overview of the features to pay special attention to when purchasing a high chair
- The type – this depends on your specific needs and the space you have available.
- The tray – it is recommended to get a high chair with a detachable tray that can fit in the dishwasher or sink for easy washing.
- Ease of cleaning – check out how easy it will be to clean all parts of the high chair, including the seat, the harness straps, and the frame and tray.
- Versatility – some high chairs are multifunctional and can convert into boosters, toddler chairs, infant and child high chairs, and others. The more versatile the chair – the more money you will be saving from not having to buy all of the variations separately.
- Adjustability – you should look for high chairs that have adjustable seat height, footrest height, tray positions, as well as reclining positions. Of course, it is essential that the chair locks safely in all chosen positions.
- Stability – the wider the base of the chair and the heavier it is – the harder it will be to be tipped over by accident.
- Comfort – high chairs with padded seats are much more comfortable for your baby or toddler. Also, a footrest will keep the feet of the child from dangling. Ensure that there are no sharp edges anywhere on the chair, to prevent scratching and injuries.
- The safety harness – a safe high chair must have a 3, 5, or both point harness locking options and a crotch strap or post to keep the child safe and sound inside the chair. Some chairs have buckles and lock systems that are within the reach of the child or are difficult to get undone by them – so make sure you check this feature out as well.
- Wheels – they can make maneuvering and moving the chair easier, but make sure that they lock safely in place to keep them stable and safe.
- Safety standard adherence – check the certificates for compliance with the common US and international child safety standards before buying a high chair.
Hopefully, we have helped you make up your mind about the type of high chair which will serve your needs best to buy.
Enjoy your new high chair, and have fun using it and watching your baby grow up into a little adult in it!