Not all children are of a particular size at a particular age. While some may be smaller than average, there are also some who are larger in size than their fellow small human beings.
You, as a parent of a child who is larger than average for his or her age, know how challenging it can be to find clothes that fit, toys that are the proper size, and a stroller that is comfortable for the child when you take him or her for a walk or run.
In case the latter is becoming a serious problem for you, this manual is exactly what you need. You’ll be able to learn more about the best strollers for older children and their parents as you read this article.
We also realize that knowing the best strollers in the market isn’t enough. So, after brief evaluations of each stroller, we’ll take a look at how they all add together to form the best stroller for you. For more, keep on reading!
Strollers for Big Kids
- Overall Stroller — Joovy Zoom 360 Ultralight Jogging Stroller: A simple, yet well-constructed stroller that will fulfill your child’s every need down the road.
- Budget Stroller — gb Pockit+ Lightweight Baby Stroller: An easy-to-fold store option for people who don’t want to shell out too much money.
- Jogging Stroller — BOB Revolution Flex 2.0 Jogging Stroller: For all the parents who don’t want to miss out on their workout as your babies grow up.
- For Tall Toddlers — Baby Jogger 2016 City Select Single: If you have a toddler who is taller than most others, his or her age, this stroller is the right one for you.
- Special Needs Stroller — Special Tomato EIO Push Chair: A special needs stroller that gives you all the luxuries that your child may need.
- Basic Stroller — UPPAbaby G-LUXE Stroller: A lightweight and adjustable stroller for all your basic needs.
- Lightweight Stroller — Thule Urban Glide Jogging Stroller: The right stroller for people who don’t want to be tied down with something hefty and unwieldy.
- Double Stroller — Joovy Scooter X2 Double Stroller: Having two kids around the same age has never been easier.
- Outdoorsy Stroller — BOB Revolution PRO Jogging Stroller: Another great jogging stroller that is meant for people who love their hikes and similar activities.
- Umbrella Stroller — Maclaren Major Elite Transport Chair: The right option for people who want to get around without a care in the world.
Best Overall Stroller:
Joovy Zoom 360 Ultralight Jogging Stroller
The first option on this list — and our pick for the perfect overall stroller — is the Joovy Zoom 360 Ultralight Jogging Stroller. Available within a relatively affordable price range, this stroller is equipped with extra-wide seats, which can be adjusted according to the seating level that you prefer.
As this is a jogging stroller, it is quite light and can be very easy to maneuver around the block. There are a bunch of additional features like a parent organizer for bottles and snacks. Since the wheels are filled with air, a pump is also included in the packaging.
- Extra-wide seat
- Aluminum frame
- Foldable stroller
- Quick-release 16-inch rear wheels
- 12.5-inch swivel front wheel that locks
- Parent organizer and running leash included
- 2-year warranty
- The stroller is able to take up 75 lb of a child’s weight, which is very important if your child is on the bigger side.
- This is one of the more affordable strollers that are available for purchase. This means you get great value for your money.
- This Joovy stroller gives you the option to choose from multiple chair adjustments so that you don’t have to keep your child uncomfortable.
- If you want a stroller that comes with an in-built car seat, you may be disappointed as the adapter is sold separately for this model.
- This isn’t the most lightweight stroller available in the market, so you must choose accordingly.
Best Budget Stroller:
gb Pockit+ Lightweight Baby Stroller
If you are looking for a great budget stroller that will give you good control at an affordable price point, the gb Pockit+ Lightweight Baby Stroller is the right option for you to consider. This baby stroller comes with a wider seat so that even bigger children can ride with ease. Additionally, it is very light — almost half the weight of the previous stroller — which makes it very easy to carry around and store when it is not in use.
- Collapsible umbrella stroller
- Travel friendly
- Reclining seat
- UPF50+ sun canopy
- Agile front swivel wheels
- As this stroller comes with an extra-wide reclining seat, it works very well for bigger children — even when they are four or five years old.
- This is a very lightweight stroller that can be folded into a small backpack and carried around even when you are traveling.
- If you are going to use it on smooth terrain, it is so smooth that you can simply steer it with a single hand.
- When the stroller is in its most upright position, it may not be as straight as you’d like it to be.
- While this is a collapsible stroller, you cannot shut it with a single hand. You will be expected to use both hands.
Best Jogging Stroller:
BOB Revolution Flex 2.0 Jogging Stroller
Staying healthy after having kids can seem like a huge task, but it doesn’t necessarily need to be that. With a good jogging stroller like the BOB Revolution Flex 2.0, you can take your child out for a run with you and stay fit on the go. Perfect for bigger children as it can hold up to 75 lb in terms of weight, this jogging stroller is well padded to give the kids as much comfort as possible.
- Foldable jogging stroller
- UPF 50+ canopy
- Safety harness
- Travel system ready
- 5-year warranty on the frame
- 1-year warranty on fabric and components
- If you are going for a jog with a stroller, the suspension needs to be truly impressive so that your child can stay comfortable. This is exactly what this option gives you.
- Another factor that can keep your kids very comfortable is the special padding that is added to the seat.
- The handlebar on the stroller can be adjusted to suit your requirements when you are running or just walking around.
- This isn’t the most affordable stroller that is available for purchase, so it may not suit your budget too well.
- As was the case with the Joovy stroller, this option also sells the car seat adapter separately.
Best for Tall Toddlers:
Baby Jogger 2016 City Select Single
Having tall toddlers at home means you may not find the right size when it comes to strollers for taking them out. However, with the Baby Jogger 2016 City Select Single, this isn’t something that you need to worry about. This is a very attractive stroller that will give you the freedom to adjust the height of the seating as well as the overall framework so that taller kids can fit in with ease.
The great part is that it comes with an adapter that can help you transform it into a double stroller if the need arises.
- Foldable stroller
- All-terrain tires
- Multiple reclining positions
- Travel system compatible
- Lifetime warranty on the frame
- This is one of the top-looking strollers you can pick up, as it comes in a number of different colors.
- The seats and the overall framework of the stroller can be adjusted to fit taller babies, which makes it great for this category.
- You have the freedom of adding a bunch of different attachments to the stroller to customize it according to your needs.
- This is one of the more expensive strollers to have made it to this list.
- The handlebar may not be suitable for shorter people as it is pretty high up there.
Best Special Needs Stroller:
Special Tomato EIO Push Chair
This product has been designed to cater to the needs of parents that have children with special needs and it does that job wonderfully well. There are a couple of reasons for this. First and foremost, the construction of this stroller is completely latex-free and hypoallergenic. If you want to adjust the back panel or the foot panel of the stroller, you can just make a couple of adjustments and it is ready.
Despite being larger than most strollers — and with a ton of storage — this model remains light enough to move around easily.
- Foldable stroller
- 90 lb weight capacity
- Adjustable back and leg rest
- Tear-resistant material
- Head pillow and extra padding
- 2-year warranty
- This stroller is meant to give your children a comfortable ride, especially with the help of the extra padding that is given in the seating area.
- You can adjust the foot panel as well as the back panel to suit the comfort needs of your child.
- Finally, the tires work great as they are no-flat tires and do not need to be inflated in case of emergencies.
- This may not fit all budgets as this is the most expensive stroller on this list.
- Some believe that an extension for leg rest may be helpful for people with taller kids.
Best Basic Stroller:
UPPAbaby G-LUXE Stroller
If you are looking for a good quality stroller that doesn’t burn a huge hole in your pocket, the UPPAbaby G-LUXE Stroller is a great option to consider when it comes to bigger babies. Available in a bunch of different colors, this stroller is built to give you full control over the fabrics as it can be removed and washed if required. Folding this stroller is very simple, as it can be done in one swift motion. It also comes with two different extenders to protect your child from the harsh sun.
- Lightweight foldable stroller
- 55 lb weight capacity
- SPF 50+ canopy
- Height-adjustable canopy
- Upgraded one-step brake
- It comes with a great one-action brake, which means you get better control over how the stroller is moving.
- As the stroller is equipped with individual handles, you don’t have to worry about keeping your hands in an awkward position for the entire duration of the walk.
- The canopy extender provided with the stroller is great for those hot and sunny days when you want to protect your child.
- Even when this stroller is folded down completely, it doesn’t become small enough to really impress you in terms of compactness.
- If you like to walk around with all the necessities stored in the stroller, this may be a little disappointing in terms of storage space.
Best Lightweight Stroller:
Thule Urban Glide — Jogging Stroller
If you are looking for a light stroller that you can take out for a run with your child, the Thule Urban Glide-Jogging Stroller is a beautifully designed option. The front-wheel swivels to make it easy for you to maneuver but also locks into place when you are looking for a jog. The handles can be adjusted to the parent’s height so that they also don’t need to hold it in weird positions. Ideal for bigger children, as it has a weight capacity of up to 75 lb.
- Foldable jogging stroller
- Ergonomic handlebar
- Padded reclining seat
- 75 lb weight capacity
- One-handed compact fold
- If you are looking for a stroller that is extremely lightweight and easy to carry around, this is the right option for you.
- It is very easy to fold this jogging stroller when not in use and easy to open again when you are out for a jog.
- As the pads are water-resistant, you can simply whip them out and wash them separately.
- You will need to buy a separate car seat adapter if you want to use this model in your car.
- This stroller is quite expensive when it comes to similar models for jogging.
Best Double Stroller:
Joovy Scooter X2 Double Stroller
Having two kids in close succession — or twins — or even over a couple of years apart can push your house into a state of complete madness. Taking them out is another big task but it can be made so much easier by investing in a good-quality double stroller that allows you to control them in one go. The Joovy Scooter X2 Double Stroller is a highly affordable option that can fit both your kids — total weight capacity of about 90 lb — and keep them comfortable while you move around the block.
- Foldable double strollers
- One-hand folding mechanism
- Extra-large basket
- Removable bumper bar
- 90 lb weight capacity
- 2-year warranty
- This is a very affordable stroller as it gives you the benefits of a double stroller within a great price range.
- While double strollers can seem a little hefty, this option is very easy to fold when you need to stow it away.
- Having two children means a lot of baggage at all times. This stroller comes with an extra-large basket that can carry all of it.
- While there are two seats for both children, there is only one single canopy.
- There are some better strollers on this list when it comes to their lightweight construction.
Best Outdoorsy Stroller:
BOB Revolution PRO Jogging Stroller
The last option on this list of the finest strollers for big kids is another jogging stroller — the BOB Revolution PRO Jogging Stroller. This particular option is extremely well built with adjustable seats and handlebars, along with inflated tires and an impressive suspension. If you are looking to take your kid out into different terrains, the suspension and extended canopy are great features.
- Foldable jogging stroller
- 75 lb weight capacity
- Adjustable recline
- Air-filled tires
- Extra-large UPF 50+ canopy
- Available in different colors
- This is great for a wide variety of terrains, giving the parent a lot more control as they push the stroller.
- The extra-large canopy is a great addition, as protection from the harsh sun is an important consideration when you are going out for a jog or even a walk in the park.
- The seat and the handlebar can be adjusted easily so that the stroller is comfortable for both the child and the parent.
- It can take a little time to get used to the folding process, which isn’t the simplest one out there.
- You may be a little disappointed if you are into a bunch of different accessories, as the bare minimum is given with the original packaging.
Best Umbrella Stroller:
Maclaren Major Elite Transport Chair
This is our pick for the umbrella stroller, which is simply a stroller that can be folded while it is standing, almost like the umbrellas that you use. Built around an aluminum frame, it is easy to notice the quality of materials that have been employed to put together this pushchair. There is a harness as well as a footrest, which makes it safer for young children or those with special needs. If a relatively higher price point is not a big issue, this is a great stroller to invest in.
- Foldable umbrella stroller
- 110 lb weight capacity
- Made of polyester
- Aluminum frame
- Ergonomically optimized handles
- Full swiveling front wheels
- The assembly process of putting this stroller together is so easy that anyone can do it without much practice.
- This stroller has been tested by UK’s medicines and healthcare products regulatory agency (MHRA) and may be suitable for children with special needs.
- It is very compact, light, and easy to fold away.
- There is no storage available on this stroller unless you choose to pay for all the different accessories that are sold separately from the stroller.
- There is no option that allows you to attach a car seat to this stroller, which can be a little inconvenient.
Why Do I Need a Stroller?
There are many different advantages of opting for strollers for bigger children, all of which are geared toward making your life so much easier. First and foremost, a good quality stroller that is designed to fit a child that is bigger than the usual size will help in ensuring that your child travels in maximum comfort without the fear of having parts of his or her body dangling out awkwardly. A smaller stroller will not afford them this luxury, making them cranky instead of happy during that stroll out in the park.
In a similar vein, if your child has unique requirements, you should exercise extra caution while selecting a stroller. Taking them for a stroll is a great way to spend time together, but make sure they are well-protected and have everything they need. You should check the stroller’s weight capacity to make sure it can handle your youngster without jeopardizing his or her safety.
At last, a jogging stroller solves a number of issues at once for those who like running on a regular basis. To begin, you can feel safe leaving your child anyplace. Instead, they can participate with you in forging this connection. The next generation of children might be healthier as a result of this.
Things to Consider Before Buying
There are a bunch of things that need to be kept in mind while deciding on a particular stroller. It is important for you to understand that just because everyone is raving about one particular model, you don’t necessarily have to go in for that. Instead, you need to gauge your requirements and choose one that suits your needs in the right possible way. Let’s look at some of these in more detail.
If you have a bigger child, you are probably going to need a larger stroller, but that doesn’t mean that it needs to be unnecessarily large to give you maximum comfort. It is important that you look at the dimensions of the stroller before deciding on one. While some may be fixed in size, others are also adjustable to give you more control over the stroller.
Strollers for larger babies don’t necessarily have to be heavier. It is highly likely that your child may be weighing a little more and in such cases, you don’t want to have a hefty and unwieldy stroller to handle at the same time. Choose a lightweight, yet sturdy stroller so that you can control it with great ease.
One of the biggest considerations that make up a good stroller is the construction of the product in itself. If your stroller is made up of substandard material that cannot stand the test of time, it will not only prove to be no value for money but can also be very unsafe for your child. Therefore, durability is an important consideration.
As you are looking for a stroller for children who are a little larger in size than others, the weight capacity of the stroller itself is a big consideration. Check the specifications mentioned by the manufacturer to ensure that the stroller can not only take the weight of your child but also any additional luggage that you may have to carry on the stroller.
Under ideal conditions, your stroller should be equipped with a no-flat type of wheels. This usually means that regular plastic wheels are coated with rubber so that you don’t have to worry about a hand pump. If your stroller has inflatable wheels, ensure that you have this pump handy at all times.
Another important consideration that makes up a great stroller is the comfort that it can provide your kids. There should be a good amount of padding so that your child can travel in comfort at all times. Consider this before you go in for a particular stroller.
The stroller should be versatile enough to give you a wide range of recline settings so that your child can be comfortable regardless of their mood at the moment. If they are active and awake, a straighter chair may be helpful, while reclined positions may work out better for you when they are dozing off.
There are many different types of strollers and a good way to distinguish between them is how they look when they are folded up. Some may look more circular while others look more like an umbrella when they are folded. Ensure that the one you choose is easy to fold — usually in a step or two — store away.
A lot of people take this factor for granted when it comes to choosing strollers but this needs your utmost attention. The safety of your child is a priority and you need to ensure that the company gives you all the different features like padded strapping, parking brakes, and more.
A warranty almost translates into the faith that the manufacturers have in their own product so the longer the warranty, the more at peace you can be. A stroller is an investment and it is important that you go for the one that gives you a decently long warranty to cover any damage the stroller may incur.
Frequently Asked Questions
Before you purchase a stroller for your child, there may be a bunch of doubts that you have in your mind. To help you through this, here are some of the questions that people have when it comes to strollers for bigger children.
How Can I Make the Stroller More Comfortable for My Child?
While most good quality strollers come with a padded seat that is aimed at keeping your child as comfortable as possible, you can further elevate their comfort with accessories like blankers, their favorite stuffed animals, and maybe even a net to keep the mosquitoes at bay.
Why Is It Important to Get a Durable Stroller?
Your child’s safety is the biggest priority for you and if you want to ensure that to the best of your capabilities, it is important that you invest in a stroller that is durable and made up of high-quality materials. Choosing a substandard one is like putting your child in danger just to save a few dollars.
What Makes for a Great Stroller for Jogging?
Many parents want to keep their lifestyle as active as possible, even after their child is born. In such cases, you can opt for specially designed jogging strollers that come with two larger wheels at the back and just one smaller one at the front. This allows you to exercise great control over the stroller as you run around.
How Can I Inflate the Wheels of My Child’s Stroller?
Different strollers come with different types of wheels. While some come with plastic ones — usually covered with rubber — that don’t need to be filled with air, others may need you to carry a hand pump for emergency situations.
After going through this brief buying guide, you will find yourself better placed to choose the right stroller for your child. If your child isn’t comfortable in the regular strollers that are meant for smaller children, you should not be trying to fit him or her in that limited space. Instead, choose from among our picks for the leading strollers for big kids and ensure that your child’s comfort and safety are your priority at all times!
Last update on 2023-03-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API